Sunday, June 20, 2010

In-Your-Face Environmentalism

Last week I visited my friend Genia in Seattle. Sometimes it feels good to change scenery and get caught up in the hustle of four million people. It's nice to experience the certain comfort of being almost completely anonymous.  I spent the week going on runs in the rain, harassing Genia at the coffee shop she works at, dancing, watching documentaries in run down theaters, scouring second hand and vintage stores on the ave, people watching, bike watching, and eating obscene amounts of delicious ethnic and pastry/coffeeshop food. The trip was relaxing, fun, and made me realize (as usual) how much I enjoy NOT living in a city full time. It's good to visit, but there sure isn't any Rattlesnake Wilderness a five minute drive away.

Of course, being in the university district in somewhat decent weather meant that the canvassers were out in full force. This particular week it was Greenpeace, traveling all the way up from Portland, Oregon (surprise) to tell us why BP was shit (another surprise) and why joining Greenpeace (complete with credit card information) could make BP clean up their shit and start taking responsibility for their screw up.

The thing is, in theory, I do support what Greenpeace is trying to do. I DO think BP should take responsibility for the Gulf spill. I DO want our government to invest in sustainable energy. I DO think we need to be more careful with our country's natural resources, I DO agree that by banding together, regular people can make effective and beneficial change.

However, I DON'T think the way to go about this is by harassing shoppers on the street. If they can barely get an environmental studies major to stop and talk with them, how effective can they be with the frat boys, soccer moms and bussiness people rushing to their next appointment or engagement? When I finally did stop to talk to one of the reps, he was a perfectly nice, intelligent human being (if not a bit robotic in delivering his monologue on the evils of big oil... I wonder how he got to Seattle from Portland? Perhaps in a gas guzzling vehicle?).

I agreed with almost everything he said. However the only way for me to get involved was to fill out all my information (address, phone number, e-mail, full name) and give a donation. If he had given me a flyer with information, added my name to an email list, asked me to sign a petition, or given me a letter to send to my senator I would have willingly complied. But letting someone on the street talk me out of my credit card information, no matter how urgent or legitimate the issue, just wasn't going to happen.

I think many Americans are trained to be skeptical. I know that personally, I would like to research and have experience with an organization before I give my money to them. I understand that they probably have issues with people smiling and nodding, saying they will get involved, and then promptly forgetting all about the issue (hence trying to push on-spot signups). But I also think in order to have a successful business, non-profit or campaign you have to appear trustworthy and conversational. Greenpeace has a history of being somewhat radical and in your face. When someone bombastically tells me why their way is the right way, it doesn't make me want to join or help them, it makes me want to argue with them. Even if it is an issue I am completely sympathetic to. While I may not know the ins and outs of the issue, I want to be conversed with, not lectured at.

The whole experience makes me question, what is the best way to get people involved with environmental issues? How do you make a nineteen year old in Seattle care and take action regarding a oil spill in Louisiana? Is it possible to educate people without attacking them? Can donating $15 to an organization make up for the fact that I filled up my gas tank twice to get to Seattle and back? How do you keep people from going into tragedy overload and simply becoming apathetic?

When I tell people I want to work with the social side of environmentalism, I am talking about answering these types of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment